Sunday, November 15, 2009

NASA Colorado Powerlifting Meet

On Saturday, I competed in my 2nd N.A.S.A. ~ www.nasa-sports.com, powerlifting meet.

This would be my 2nd competitive endeavor in all my 46 years and I have to say the road to the meet was not easy. The last couple of weeks leading up to meet was mentally exhausting for me and my my coach ~ www.defylimitations.com; www.examiner.com/x-4578-Denver-Personal-Training-Examiner?showbio, who had to put up with my tears and self doubt and once again proved to me that "I'm stronger then I think I am!"

Coach and I decided beforehand that my starting weights would be as follows:

149 lbs on the back squat
94 lbs on the bench press
276 lbs on the deadlift

The morning of the meet I was actually more calm then I thought I would be...I think I had worked myself up so much the previous week that I was just ready for it to be over. I was also feeling a little more pressure because the evening before at the weigh-in, I was told that I had set a state record for my division and weight class last meet. I was amazed and shocked to say the least!

The first event was the Back Squat and they had a new squat rack that actually suspended the bar over your shoulders until you lifted and then the arms of the rack moved out of the way...it was really rather odd. When it was my turn to go, I moved into position, nodded to the judge and proceeded to shuffle my feet....WTF was I thinking.....3 automatic red lights!! My immediate first thought was "HOLY CRAP, I'm going to bomb out of the meet!" But once again, Coach calmed me down and we moved up in weight anyway to 154 lbs. Next time up, I got under the bar and this time moved back, like I'm used to doing, set my feet, nodded at the judge and squatted....SUCCESS! Whew...what a freakin' relief!! For the 3rd round we decided to go for 165 lbs...not a PR but at least I would have the 1st event under my belt and I actually got it pretty easily.

The second event was Bench Press and I started at a pretty easy 94 lbs and got it up without any problem. The 2nd time up Coach and I decided to go for 105 lbs and I got it! The 3rd time up I decided to go for a PR (personal record) and went for 116 lbs, my highest previous PR was 112 lbs. ~ I got set on the bench and I heard the announcer say "Patty is going for a State Record attempt" and my first thought was "who is she talking about?" and then "Holy Crap that's me"!! I took a deep breath, let Coach know I was ready for the bar to be handed off to me and lowered it to my chest and then pushed and then I heard the judge say "Press". NOOOOO......not again......3 red lights! But on a positive note I did get the bar up and it will be considered a PR in my gym!

The 3rd and last event was the Deadlift...now the deadlift is MY lift, the one I feel strongest and most confident in! But all of a sudden I was REALLY nervous about my opening weight of 276 lbs., if I didn't get it in 3 attempts I would bomb out and I would not get a trophy and all my state attempts would be for nothing.....I think Coach must have sensed my fear because he asked if I wanted to lower my opening weight, to which I replied "Can I...please" and he said okay he would lower it to 265 lbs but I better hit 300 in one of my attempts! So my first time up, Gary helped me with my belt, I walked up to the platform and again heard "Patty is going for a State Record Attempt" and Gary said that I looked like a deer caught in headlights....I was pretty freakin' nervous! But I pulled and got it up with no problem....Thank God! Now the rest was just extra....I could go for broke! My second attempt was at a weight of 292 lbs and again no problem! For my 3rd attempt Coach and I decided to go for a PR attempt of 309 lbs.....I walked up to the platform, set up, set up again and dipped, gripped and ripped and I actually got that sucker up!!! It's amazing what an adrenaline rush will do!!

I got first in my weight class and division and set some new state records.....all in all, a very, VERY AMAZING day, for a girl who has always said, she does not have an athletic bone in her body! Life is good!

A big THANK YOU to my Coach, Jonathan Sabar....I couldn't have done it without you!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Patty - you're awesome - not much else to say.
    Much as you fret and twist yourself inside out, you have the gusto to reach within when the time calls for it, and crank it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have read your blog and I appreciate the information which you discussed here which will be useful to my learning experience.

    Thanks
    Penny Auctions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just discovered your blog and can only cheer and shout, "GO GIRL!" LOVE THIS! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post!
    We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

    Thanks
    GPS Micro Tracker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Post!
    I have read your post and I admire the information which you offered here. It is really good read to me.

    Thanks for sharing information!
    Online Penny Auctions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

    Thanks
    Webcam Chat Software

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im a fellow crosfitter.!
    Check me out
    http://pram-crossfitblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    We specialize in providing innovate and high quality solutions that helps our clients in gaining an edge over their competitors. We ensure that we have a good understanding of the client's expectations, goals and objectives before developing a project.

    Thanks
    Website Design Services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, a very well writteng blog article you have provided for us to read,,,,,thanks for sharing mate
    driveways essex

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. I very like that much.

    College essay writing

    ReplyDelete